Monday, September 5, 2011

Adapting




Leah and I are enjoying the last night of a long weekend full of relaxing, entertaining, cooking, decorating, packing, shopping, and yes.....College Football!!!  The house looks and smells like fall.  The bags are packed and ready to go to the hospital (whenever the time comes). Parker's room looks like something you'd see in a Magazine Ad.  The Family Room is finished and ready for Aggie Football watching and rocking Parker to sleep.

We had 4 appointments last month without much new news.  In our most recent appointment, all of Parker's vitals look good and they estimate he weighs 4 1/2 pounds.  His head is well over the 40 week mark and we are out of the percentile estimates now.  The fluid in the right side of his head continues to grow and push everything to the left.  There doesn't seem to be much brain matter in the right half, but some development could possibly be happening in the left side.  He is still breached and should stay head up for the remainder of the pregnancy.

Leah is READY!!!  We were joking about the term of pregnancy quite a bit this month.  Why is it that no one knows that pregnancy is really 10 months until they become pregnant?  My theory is if women knew that they had to do this for anymore than 9 months, they wouldn't do it.  Leah is officially 8 3/4 months tomorrow with only a month to go.  Parker's big head is pushed up against her ribs and I think he is sitting on her sciatic nerve.  This along with the record breaking heat makes for a painful combination.  Pretty much anything and iseverything she does  painful, and the heat makes for a lot of swelling.  Even though the little guy causes a lot of discomfort, it is fun to watch him move around when we talk to him.  Leah had a couple of great showers given by family, friends and co-workers which have distracted us from everything except for the excitement in preparation (and for Leah, decoration).

As for me, I try to help when I'm supposed to and stay out of the way when I'm supposed to.  The further along into this pregnancy we get, the more I admire, respect, and love my wife.  I spent some time the past 2 weeks preparing for my last trip, Pre-Parker (P.P.).  My company is putting me through a Personal Leadership program, so I'll be heading to Toronto on Wednesday for 2 nights.  Based on the tests I've taken, my top 2 strengths are Positivity and Adaptability.  Adaptability has really resonated with me over the last couple of weeks.  Not my adaptability, but what it means to women, a young family and a new baby.  To think that I was living with Rob, and Leah was living with Lara as little as 14 months ago is mind boggling.  We've adapted to all of the changes presented to a young, married couple, and we've done so very well.  Now we prepare for the changes that are presented to a young family and it seems natural.  Leah and I adapt naturally because we are changing with someone we love.  This gives me a ton of hope when I think about Parker.  I know we are in for a big change, a new boss is about to take over the house and I know we both love him......that makes for a great combination!


1 comment:

  1. Dave
    Although I haven't met Leah, I can certainly tell what an amazing woman she must be. You two are so lucky to have found eachother. My Parker and I will keep you guys in our prayers each day.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete